Roll 15

Camera: Yashica Mat EM

Film: Tri-X 400

Date Developed: 01.03.10

Development: T Max developer, 6m 30s @ 22 degrees, fixed 4 mins

Notes:  I have been searching ebay for another EM so I could replace the back door as the other one was damaged when the camera fell from the tripod in January.  Nothing has come up yet so I decided to take the door off the camera and some more serious panel beating to see if I could get it closing properly.  I’ve managed to get it close to fixed – the closing button is out of alignment but it still seems to be closing the camera securely.  This was a test film following my DIY repairs.  It is full of quite unexciting photos but the camera seems to be working as it was before it’s leap off the tripod.  The exciting thing about this film is that the marks that have been driving me crazy on the Mamiya films appeared on a couple of images in this film – which hopefully means that the problem is my processing and not the camera – yay!  The markings can be seen down the right hand side of the cloud image above.  I’m pretty sure that it’s to do with fluid levels in the developing tank and a layer of bubbles sitting on top of the liquid during processing, so next time I’ll mix larger volumes of my chemicals and hopefully (fingers crossed) that particular problem will be solved.

Advertisements

~ by suehimages on March 1, 2010.

3 Responses to “Roll 15”

  1. I haven’t done any of my own developing in many years, but used to routinely do a large number of rolls every week. One of the tricks that I was taught and seemed to work quite well for me was to pre-wet the film prior to developing it. I would fill the tank with water and tap it and invert it a couple of times to remove any air bubbles that may have been between the layers of film on the spool. That way with the entire surface of the film wet, there would be no air bubbles when the developer was poured into the tank.

    I’m not sure if there are reasons to not do it, but you may want to give it a try.

    • Thanks douglas – I’ll add it to my list of tricks to try. I am aware of the idea of pre-wetting but have never tried it. I think my main problem was the solution level being too low combined with the developer type – the TMax developer seems to get quite foamy in my tank and it appears to have been the top layer of foam that was causing my problems.
      Thanks for your help!
      Sue

  2. You are welcome, Sue. I think that between pre-wetting the film and adding a bit more developer to the tank, the issues that you have had will be taken care of.

    If you are using a small tank that stays upright and you agitate and invert by hand, there is an easy way to see how much developer you will need to completely immerse the film. Just put the spool(s) into the tank and add enough water to completely cover the spools. Then pour the water into a measuring cup to see how much developer it would take to cover the spools. That’s what I did all those years ago and it worked very well for me.

    Doug

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: